Boulder County still recovering from heavy snowfall; 1,100 remain without power – Boulder Daily Camera

Posted on Oct 28, 2011

“About 1,100 Boulder-area electricity customers remained without power Thursday afternoon, according to Xcel spokesman Gabriel Romero. Along the Front Range, outages totaled 3,700 customers.Romero said 90 percent of the outages in Boulder should be resolved by this evening. He said its difficult to pinpoint when the remaining 10 percent will regain power because fixing “significant structural damage” relies on a web of workers to clear broken trees and restore damaged poles before electricity can be restored.On Thursday, Xcel had nearly 30 crews working in Boulder and 120 others dispatched throughout Colorado, most of whom were called in from other service areas such as Grand Junction, New Mexico and Texas.”Theyre doing as much as they can,” Romero said.

Amy Hirter, a University Hill resident for more than 20 years, said she was frustrated by Xcels response to the blackouts. She said preventive trimming of the trees near power lines would have been an “easy, doable and probably cheaper way” to handle the situation.Hirter, whose electricity went off Tuesday night and resumed Thursday afternoon, said those without power havent been able to cook, and some have taken shelter at hotels or elsewhere because of the lack of heat.On Thursday afternoon, the Boulder County Justice Center was forced to close for a second time in two days after a power failure caused malfunctioning of the security system that monitors people entering the facility. The building, which houses the Boulder municipal courts, was closed Wednesday for the same reason.”

via Boulder County still recovering from heavy snowfall; 1,100 remain without power – Boulder Daily Camera.